4/16/2006

Lazy Easter Sunday

It's Easter and it's a day for family. I talked to my parents and, amazingly, my oldest brother. I only say amazingly because it was fortuitous that I should be on the phone with my parents when they stop by for dinner. I also found out that he reads this blog, so: Hi Bill!

It seems like all my friends are with family today. I wonder what the call is on Easter that makes people decide to come together with relatives? I don't think the religious aspects of Easter are what drives the need to gather together with their family. Too many people I know are post-Catholic (thanks to Tracy for the term) to have that be the reasoning. I suppose that it's just a convenient time to get a group of people bound by love and blood around a table. Family maintenance, I guess. Bonds fade if they're not renewed. And that's it. Renewal. The central theme of Easter, from the Christian tradition of Jesus' resurrection to the Anglo-Saxon rituals celebrating the return of Spring. It's comforting to know that today's observance of eating ham around a table extends as far back as the 7th century.

As an aside, I'm also pleased that a stream-of-consciousness paragraph can elucidate such a revelation (to me at least, those of you who figured that out before me can leave deragatory comments if you wish) about the observance of Easter. There may yet be hope for me...

Well, I wish you all a happy and healthy Easter. I've got an oddly optimistic view of Spring this year. It makes me wonder if there's something in the air besides pollen...

1 Comments:

At 9:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here are some links that I believe will be interested

 

Post a Comment

<< Home