5/14/2006

Show Update

It's Mother's Day. I was able to call my mom despite having a matinee of "Fools" at 2 PM. The call to be at the theatre was 12:30 PM, so that led to a quite truncated morning. The wife and I were able to get the grocery shopping done, thankfully since the forthcoming week also promises to be a hectic one. But more on that later.

I haven't posted since we opened our show in Olathe. The opening night was great, we had a whole crowd of theatre people who were a great audience. After two weeks of running the show without any kind of response to the jokes and such we were putting out into the dark theatre it was a real relief to have a roomful of people. The show really went well that night too. Though I hate to brag, it was a small triumph. Of course, the Saturday show was quite a letdown. The crowd was smaller and much less responsive. It's extremely difficult to do comedy without an audience that laughs. It was almost payback for having such a good opening night. I said to Tricia then that my worry was that we'd had our best audience too soon.

The next week was action-packed, though the show was dark. Tricia's car broke down (distributor) and she decided that she'd like to have a new car. It would have cost about 25% of the car's total value to fix it. She drives a 1997 Civic, so it's most likely time to get her a new car. It's frustrating because I have to wonder how that will affect our ability to buy a house this year, but she does need a car. We've been shopping as we can, given the schedule that's going on. She's decided on a Corolla, so that'll be one more Toyota Corolla among the people I know. It seems like all the people I went to college with around here have Corollas in their lives. Hopefully we'll get a different color than "Ubiquitous Blue". I hope we can get a good deal. If you have any pieces of advice on bargaining with the dealers, please post a comment! I'll post the details of what happens here, since it's likely to be a great story, win or lose.

This weekend we had the show again, Friday, Saturday and Sunday. It was a very tough run and I'm very tired tonight. The Friday house was good, responsive at least. I think part of that was that the cast was glad to be back together. We worked well together and made the show great. I was pretty happy with it. Then the Saturday house was great, as was the show. It was one of those nights where the audience and the performers are feeding off each other. The director hugged me that night and told me that I had been "on fire". High praise and I hope I warranted it. Today's matinee was tough to get to, but we made it happen, despite being at the most 75%. I think today was a occasion of the audience feeding us. There were several people who really, really enjoyed the show. That made us (well, me certainly) want to give them more. I think it was a good show, with a party afterwards at the director's house.

The house, unfortunatley, is in Spring Hill, KS. You may not know where that is, so here's a map from the Plaza to help illustrate the point. Quite a long way away. I wasn't even aware that KC had a 210th Street! The party was good, Tricia got to see the director's family's horses, which made her pretty happy. I'm glad we went, but I'm more glad to be home now. It's time to relax for tonight and get ready for the week. I hope it's an easier one. To all you mothers out there, Happy Mother's Day and I'll post again soon.

2 Comments:

At 11:50 AM, Blogger Applecart T. said...

carmax.com, maaan.
when you put it like that (25% of car's value), it does seem to be a "buy new," hint. however, you both live way close to your jobs and all. i'm pretending i can be part of a one-car family. . .it's not going well.

 
At 11:59 AM, Blogger Josh said...

Oh man, that's what we're doing right now. It's not bad right now, but I can anticipate the moment of conflict when we both need the car. I'd love to be able to have just one car. For the environment, for the money saved on gas, licensing, insurance, everything! Why can't this city have a decent public transportation system?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home